Monday 24 April 2017

Pattern Testing for 5 out of 4 - Escapade Top & Dress!



I've been ogling 5 out of 4's sporty-style patterns for some time now, and was fortunate enough to be accepting into their most recent pattern testing of the Escapade Bra (Bikini), Tankini, and Dress Pattern

Jessica's testing is pretty intense, but in a good way.  You are expected to work, provide your feedback, create your muslin (fake clothing article to ensure proper fit and so you don't cry if the sizing is off on your good fabric), and create several versions of the final product to ensure:

a) everyone understands the pattern

b) any incoherent instructions are clarified and revised as required

c) she can see how the pattern fits on different sized bodies

d) you don't sew up the muslin pattern one or two nights BEFORE the final is due

We look through each version of the written pattern for:

a) typos

b) confusing pictures

c) steps in the wrong order

And so on.

She puts forth what her expectations are, and in turn, it's polite to ensure you can realistically meet her expectations.



Seriously - her patterns are reminiscent of my old favourite "Lulu" clothing, but SO much better and custom made! I love being part of the "how they made that" part of clothing construction, and being able to say, "Boo Yah!" to the fact that I learnt a few more awesome clothing hacks and skills during this round of testing



I like it, as I enjoy being meticulous, am a stellar proofreader, and love the challenge of whipping up 4-5 pieces of clothing in a short period of time. For seriousness.  My drive comes from high workloads - both at work and play. I'm just built that way.

For Version 1, I created a tankini (top?) with Small bust to Medium Waist through Hips based on the sizing chart. I also added a band to the bottom, as I prefer tunic length tops. Being 5'-2", this means a lot of the patterns (generally written for 5\-6" to 5'-8" height) are awesome for me!



The instructions were pretty clear - I would definitely pull more on the ruching elastic to get a better ruching effect on the sides, but it fits comfortably for me!

The only tedious part was flipping the fabric for the ties, but it's my least favourite task as well. (I since found a You Tube Video that helped make tie flipping go from a 30-60 minute task to a 2 minute task 65% of the time - I'm honing in that skill.

I'm using the small top going to a medium at the bottom of the tank - I could go small all way through for a tighter fit, but I like a looser fit for those slothy feeling days.

Also a less stretchy/flowy fabric will tighten it up as well.

I used a c/d cup fir my muslin version, however, after confirming with Jessica, sized down to an a/b cup for my next tank and bikini top, pulling everything together much better.

I'm not falling out at the top, my seams are sitting flat, and I honestly feel like I'm not wearing a top - so comfortable and no strain on my neck or shoulders (desk job issues).

I wasn't even thinking of making the dress version, but with this cut, I definitely will now!

For Version 2, I created my Tardis Tankini. I'm in love. It's just amazing.  A few minor  changes were made to the pattern and instructions at this point, making each step a bit more concise and easier to follow for a lot of the testers.

The fabrics are an awesome Tardis (top part) print that Patty Hamm from Water Tower Textiles brought in especially for her FB Group followers (along with Mario Brothers!) - I almost had a heart attack when she score a small amount of yardage for us!  She really is a sweetheart and always available to answer questions - people like Patty are what customer service SHOULD be like. It's how *I* was when I ran Crystal's Bird Toys for almost 6 years (I even received a customer request email today begging for a toy to be made...almost 3 years after my initial closing announcement!)

The bottom part is another Tardis fabric, from Spoonflower - made of wicking activewear fabric. 

I LOVE the criss cross back! 

Tardis tank & altered tardis leggings (thank you, China)

Had to pose with my Tardis in the parrot room jungle!

Finally, version 3. I had a grumpy photographer - next time I'm bringing a friend to the beach for pics!

I decided to make the Riptide Reversible Shorties, a pair of bathing suit bottoms I had been eyeing for awhile, because they have ruching AND are reversible!

Grab your patterns from 5 out of 4 today! You won't be disappointed!

I used Cycling swimwear fabrics I found at Water Tower Textiles and Purple/Black fabric from a FB destashing group. 

I do like that the shorts make my behind look nice - and although I made the cup insert version of both top and bra, I didn't put them in. And it was cold - maybe 7 or 8 Celsius. No evidence of cold! 

Booyah!

Love the shorts AND top - it's perfect!
This turned out amazing! 
Honestly, once again, I'm amazed I made this - seriously??? 

In comparison with 2 other bikini patterns I have muddled my way through (minimal directions, and guess work for half of the steps), this pattern was easy to read through Step. By. Step. 

Don't skip steps. Don't plow through too quickly. And choose sizing wisely.  With the pictures, instructions, and Jessica's constant availability to answer questions (even on her regular FB page, not just the testing page!), there is support for anyone interested in making their own bikini, bra, tankini, or dress. 

There are links to Youtube video instructions, and the support of the other members of the regular FB group - we are all at different levels of learning, and it really warms my heart when we are able to help each other wrap our heads around new concepts in pattern design.

Thank you again, Jessica, for another amazing pattern.  You have me - hook, line, and sinker!  And unfortunately, I now feel like this:


Awesome Patterns

No comments:

Post a Comment