Monday 7 May 2018

Sewing Pattern Review: Made for Mermaids Lounge & Lace Collection

Ooh La La!

When the Made for Mermaids Mama Bridgette Bralette and Mama Victoria came out, I was stoked to start making my own undergarments. And ones that Husband would like!

I don't hold the Mama part of the name against them, despite not being a mother - not having kids hasn't been made part of the inclusivity club yet - c'est la vie!

Finding lace fabric at a decent price as a bit of a task. For the metres required for each garment, and at anywhere from $5-$9 a metre, no wonder they charge so much in stores for lacey undergarments! 

I used my sleuthy skills and found a seller on Ebay.ca who had random packages of finished stretch lace in multiple metres at a steal of a price. 

I took the chance, spent $60 on 20 metres of lace, and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. It was soft, nice enough colours, and enough for 1-2 panties and a bra per colour. Yay! 



The Mama Victoria - Cheekies and Thong:

You have two options:
- Cheekies
- Thongs

These honestly took less than half an hour a pair - including cutting -they are SO simple to sew up.

My first pair I used stretch velvet and some random stretch frilly elastic I had on hand. They are a bit small, despite going by the measurements on the pattern. 



Still wearable, but I reprinted the pattern in the next size up for a more favourable size for my next 4 pairs.

I used scrap swimwear lining I had on hand for the lining part (no one wants lace in their nether regions!), and everything sewed together without any issues. 

The instructions were easy to follow, and I love the way both pairs fit.



The thong doesn't ride anywhere it ought not to, and I don't even remember I'm wearing them when they're on. They don't dig into my hips or belly either - yay!

I have no need to buy underwear again - when I can make them!  They don't cut in, and I can colour block and use scraps if need be.

From fabric vs lace, they feel equally divin.

Mama Bridgette Bralette & Nightie

I didn't splurge enough for a nightie, but I did for a matching bra for every two panties! 

There are 3 back options:
- Racerback
- Cross Back
- Full Back

I have a lot of neck and shoulder pain, so try to avoid anything that will put more pressure on that area.

That being said, I did make one of each back type to see how they felt.

The instructions are detailed and easy to follow - and the PDF even includes links to video instructions, which are SO helpful! 

Full Back

Racerback

The first two bras, I once again went by measurements taken that night, and the bra just felt too tight with a lot of pressure.

So I sized up for the third one for a comfortable fit.

My only issue (other than the sizing) is that there wasn't a tutorial for how to insert a bra cup. So I'll do that next time, as currently they just sit outside the bra so I don't show the world how cold it is.

Learning curves!

The Raceback and Cross Back options aren't too bad, but I can wear them for an hour before the pressure is too much - plus to wear clothes over them without anyone seeing the neck portion of the bras is pretty difficult.

So they are purely sexy-time bras.

The Full back is perfect. 

I can wear clothes over it without the straps showing, and it holds my decent busom without me falling out or feeling unsupported.

I really need to make more time to make more though, as Husband complains about my Lululemon Sports Bras (SOOOO comfy too). I only have the one Full Back Bridgette made so far that fits, so after a wear, in the wash it goes and out comes the sports bra! 

So it's comparably as comfy as my Lulu sports bras. That says a lot, as I love them.

So take the challenge and sew some undergarments. I recommend sizing up and using "not coveted" fabric for your first go to ensure the fit is proper before digging into fabric you would cry if it didn't work out.


No comments:

Post a Comment